(1)Welcome To The Devonish Art Gallery
Courtney and Carrolle
Courtney Devonish is a Barbados born sculptor. potter and has been residing in Anguilla since 1988. The Devonish Art Gallery is the permanent showroom for his creations.
Courtney began his art education at Birmingham University School of Education in England, where he majored in arts and crafts, specializing in sculpture. He did post graduate studies in Italy under the auspices of an OAS fellowship in ceramic technology.
Carrolle Devonishh has developed a passion for beading since her retirement; she has been working with beads since a trip in the early 90s to Kenya.
She found the beads wonderfully earthy and has used African beads in many of her pieces. She collects beads from friends and from occasional bead shows. She especially loves African beads and continues to collect on her travels there.
Recently she has become interested in Swarovski crystals and hopes to develop some crystal creations.
She has lived in Anguilla since 1998.
He has been residing in Anguilla for over 20 years, and the Devonish Art Gallery is the permanent showroom for his creations.
Courtney began his art education at Birmingham University School of Education in England, where he majored in arts and crafts, specializing in sculpture. He did post-graduate studies in Italy under the auspices of an OAS fellowship in ceramic technology.
He has been featured in many English and Caribbean publications, Courtney’s work has graced the pages of Le Figaro of France, Fielding’s Travel Guide of North America, and Seura of Finland. Courtney’s work can also be found in many private collections throughout the world.
Some of his pieces have been bought by the Government of Barbados to be presented to international heads of state, including the President of the United States (1982), the President of Venezuela (1981) and the Prime Minister of Australia.
- 1968-69: Coventry Art Gallery and Museum
- 1968: Gallery 13, Rugby1968: Kensington Art Gallery, London
- 1967: Belgrade Theatre, Coventry
- 2008: Carifesta, Guyana
- 1991-2006: Harmony Hall, Antigua
- 1998-2018: Mango Tango, USVI
- 1995: Carifesta, St. Kitts
- 1991: Carifesta, Trinidad
- 1988: Devonish Art Gallery, Barbados
- 1988: Barbados National Gallery
- 1986: Care Shepherd, Barbados
- 1985: Voyager Gallery, Trinidad
- 1985: Nina Squreles Gallery, Trinidad
- 1982: Simpson and Johnson, Trinidad
- 1981: Care Shepherd, Barbados
- 1979: Carifesta, Cuba
- 1977: Carifesta, Guyana
- 1975: Gallery 71, Barbados
- 1975-88: Devonish Art Gallery, Barbados
- 1971: Gallery 71, Barbados
1988—current. Devonish Art Gallery is now located in Anguilla, BWI.
- 1990-98: Barbados Consulate, Toronto
- 1986-88: Alex Peck Gallery, Burlington, Ontario
- 1984: Art Expo, Toronto
- 1977: Montreal
- 1977: Canadian National Exhibition, Toronto
- 1977 Simpson and Sears, Toronto
- 1977: Hilton Hotel, Vancouver
“…articulate and straightforward… a refreshing example of the kind of intelligent and sophisticated artist we enjoy meeting. His work is, to put it at its simplest, an exciting reflection of his personality.”John Wickham’s Roundabout The Bajan
- 1994: Caribbean Art today, Venice
- 1978: Instituto Statale de Arte, Teramo
Exhibitions: United States
- 2002: Blue Heron Gallery, Massachusetts
- 1997: Clay Studio, Philadelphia
- 1997: Lincoln University, Pennsylvania
- 1996: Yaeger Museum, Hartwick College, New York
- 1993: Caribbean Art Today, Boston
- 1992: Caribbean Art Today, Pennsylvania
- 1991: Charles summer School Museum, Washington DC
- 1991: Drexel University, Pennsylvania
- 1987-88: Gallery Caribe, Pennsylvania
- 1975-80:OAS Headquarters, Washington DC
- Spon Gate Primary School, Coventry, England
- Finham Community Centre, Coventry, England
- Barbados Community College
During the eighties Mr.Devonish worked as a ceramic consultant and trainer conducting workshops throughout the Eastern Caribbean under the auspices of CTAP-Canadian Training Awards Project
Artist in Residence
- 1997: Lincoln University of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- 1997: Clay Studio, Philadelphia , PA
- 1996: Hartwick College, Upstate New York
- Birmingham University School of Education, United Kingdom, Arts and crafts/Sculpture, 1964-67
- Instituto Statale D’Arte di Castelli, Italy,Ceramics OAS Fellowship, 1979
IDC Exhibition Awards
- 1980: 1 st Prize
- 1977: 1 st and 3 rd Prize
- 1976: 1 st and 3 rd Prize
June Academy of Art Awards
- 1976: Most Outstanding Exhibit
- 1976: 1 st Prize
- 1975: 1 st and 2 nd Prize